ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men’s basketball team (19-10, 8-8 MW) had three shots in the closing seconds bounce on and around the rim, but none fell as the Runnin’ Rebels suffered a 91-90 heart-breaking loss to New Mexico Sunday afternoon at The Pit.
Junior guard Kris Clyburn missed a 3-pointer, then senior guard Jovan Mooring and junior forward Shakur Juiston missed follow-up attempts as time expired.
UNLV had four players score in double figures, led by senior guard Jordan Johnson’s game highs of 25 points and nine assists. Juiston recorded his 13th double-double of the year with 18 points and 13 rebounds. Freshman forward Brandon McCoy and Mooring added 15 and 12 points, respectively.
The Lobos (15-14, 10-6 MW) had five players score in double figures, led by Anthony Mathis’ 18 points. Sam Logwood had a double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds.
THE TURNING POINT: After Mooring made 2 of 3 free throws to make the score 90-88 in UNLV’s favor, New Mexico’s Makuach Maluach hit a go-ahead 3-pointer with 17 seconds to play, putting the Lobos up 91-90.
STAT OF THE GAME: There were a total of 50 fouls called in the game, 29 on New Mexico and 21 on UNLV.
RUNNIN’ REBEL OF THE GAME: Johnson was 7 of 12 from the field, including making both of his 3-point attempts. He made 9 of 12 free throws and also had six rebounds in 37 minutes of action.
QUOTABLE: “I feel bad for my guys because I felt like we played well enough to win on the road, which is a challenge. We just fell a little short – literally one play short. I told the guys they got better today and they fought hard. It was good to see them fight back when we got down.” – UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
– New Mexico led by as many as 11 points in the second half.
– Johnson’s 25 points ties his career high, which was set while playing at Milwaukee.
– New Mexico led 42-41 at the half.
– UNLV made 57.1 of its 3-point attempts, going 4 of 7 for the game.
– UNLV out-rebounded New Mexico, 39-28.
– UNLV led in points in the paint, 46-30.
– There were 11 lead changes and six ties throughout the game.
– New Mexico swept the regular-season series with UNLV. The Lobos also won 85-81 in Las Vegas on Jan. 17.
– UNLV has lost three straight games after winning three straight and five of six.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in 1,035 straight games.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will return home to the Thomas & Mack on Wednesday, Feb. 28 at 8 p.m. vs. intrastate rival UNR in the Governor’s Series game. The regular-season home finale and Senior Night will also be a Red Out with all fans encouraged to wear red. Free t-shirts will be given away to the first 3,000 fans in attendance and there will also be a free pregame tailgate on the plaza starting at 6 p.m. Tickets to the game may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, by calling 702-739-FANS (3267) or by visiting the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office.