Rebels to play Monday-Tuesday in Lake Forest, Illinois, at the Windon Memorial Classic hosted by Northwestern
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men’s golf team will open its 2019-20 season Monday, Sept. 16, as it competes at the Windon Memorial Classic, hosted by Northwestern, at Conway Farms (par 71, 7,233 yards) in Lake Forest, Illinois.
THE FIELD: In addition to UNLV and Northwestern, the 14-team field includes ETSU, Indiana, Iowa State, Kansas, Marquette, Michigan, Northern Illinois, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Purdue, South Florida and UC Davis.
THE FORMAT: The two-day, 54-hole stroke-play event will consist of 36 holes on Monday and 18 on Tuesday. Teams will play five players with the low four scores each day counted for the team total.
TEE TIMES: Play will begin at 8:30 a.m. CT on Monday with a shotgun start. The second round will follow. Tuesday’s final round will begin at 8 a.m. CT.
THE LINEUP: Competing for UNLV will be junior Jack Trent, senior Justin Kim, sophomore David Rauch, freshman Falko Hanisch and junior J.J. Gresco.
LAST YEAR’S WMC: UNLV did not compete at last year’s Windon Memorial Classic. Marquette won the 2018 event by two shots at 4-under-par 860, while UC Davis’ Thomas Hutchison earned medalist honors by two shots at 11-under 205.
LIVE SCORING: Available courtesy of Golfstat with a link found at UNLVRebels.com or by clicking here.
– UNLV lost Mountain West Golfer of the Year and All-America Scholar Harry Hall to graduation following last season. He recently competed at the prestigious Walker Cup, becoming just the third Rebel in program history to be invited.
– The Rebels have welcomed four new players to this year’s roster.
– Last year’s team appeared in a NCAA-record 31st straight regional and advanced to the national finals where it finished in the top 20.
– Jack Trent and David Rauch are UNLV’s returning All-Mountain West performers. Trent captured the individual title at the Southern Highlands Collegiate in March, which earned him an exemption into the PGA Tour’s Shriners Hospitals for Children Open (will be played Oct. 3-6, at TPC Summerlin in Las Vegas).
– Justin Kim, who turned in UNLV’s best individual finish at the NCAA Finals last season, was also named an All-America Scholar.
– This year marks head coach Dwaine Knight’s 33rd season leading the Rebel program.