UNLV men’s basketball defeated 79-74 by No. 22 UNR on Thursday afternoon at Thomas & Mack Center
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men’s basketball team (20-13) had a chance to tie the game at the end, but senior guard Jovan Mooring’s 3-point attempt didn’t fall, and the Runnin’ Rebels were defeated 79-74 by No. 22 UNR (27-6) in the quarterfinals of the Mountain West Tournament Thursday afternoon at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Junior forward Shakur Juiston had his 15th double-double of the season with 14 points and 12 rebounds, while freshman forward Brandon McCoy recorded his MW-leading 18th of the year with 12 points and 14 rebounds. Junior guard Kris Clyburn led UNLV in scoring with 19 points, while grabbing six boards, and senior guard Jovan Mooring was the fourth Runnin’ Rebel in double figures with 13.
The Wolf Pack’s Jordan Caroline led four UNR players in double-figure scoring with 21 points. He also had a team-high 10 rebounds.
THE TURNING POINT: UNR used a 22-6 run early in the second half to erase a 12-point UNLV lead. The Wolf Pack opened the second 20 minutes by hitting 9 of 11 from the floor, including 5 of 5 from 3-point range.
STAT OF THE GAME: UNR made eight 3-pointers in the second half and totaled 12 for the game.
QUOTABLE: “We took the fight to them, especially in the first half, and we did some really good things to put ourselves in a position to win the game down the stretch. Unfortunately, they got hot from the 3, and a lot of those were contested shots, which good teams make.” – UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
– UNLV was the No. 8 seed in the MW Tournament, while UNR is the top seed.
– UNLV led 39-31 at halftime.
– UNLV out-rebounded UNR, 46-31.
– UNR’s first four baskets in the second half, and five of its first six, were 3-pointers.
– McCoy blocked four shots, which was the fifth time this season that he tallied four or more blocks in a game.
– UNLV committed 14 turnovers, leading to 16 UNR points.
– There were three ties and seven lead changes.
– UNR won the season series with UNLV, 2-1. The Runnin’ Rebels defeated the then-No. 23 Wolf Pack in Reno, while they lost both contests at the Thomas & Mack Center.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in 1,039 straight games.