Wolf Pack defeats UNLV 101-75 at Thomas & Mack Center Wednesday Night
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men’s basketball team (19-11, 8-9 MW) lost to No. 21 UNR 101-75 Wednesday night in a Governor’s Series game at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Cody Martin led four Wolf Pack players in double figures with 26 points, while Jordan Caroline added 22. UNR (26-5, 15-2) shot 50.7 percent from the field, including 54.2 percent on 3-pointers (13 of 24).
UNLV had four players score in double figures. Freshman forward Brandon McCoy and junior forward Shakur Juiston each recorded a double-double with 19 points and 17 rebounds, and 14 and 14, respectively.
THE TURNING POINT: With UNLV trailing by a point, 15-14, with 13 minutes left in the first half, UNR went on a 13-0 run take a 28-14 lead with nine minutes to go in the half. Later, the Wolf Pack used a 21-4 run to lead by as many as 30 with three minutes remaining in the first half.
QUOTABLE: “I want to give kudos to UNR. I thought they came out angry like they had lost the last time. It just was not meant to be tonight based on their offensive efficiency in the first half. We did a good job stopping the break against New Mexico and it was a point of emphasis for us tonight, but it certainly did not come to fruition. They played like they were the No. 21 team in the country, to be quite honest.” – UNLV head coach Marvin Menzies.
– UNR evened the season series at 1-1. UNLV defeated then-No. 23 UNR in Reno 86-78 on Feb. 7.
– UNLV shot 9 of 14 on 3-pointers (64.3 percent) in the first half, then 4 of 10 in the second.
– UNR led 54-28 at halftime and both teams scored 47 in the second half.
– UNLV was just 4 of 23 on 3-pointers (17.4 percent).
– UNLV has lost four straight games after winning three straight and five of six.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in 1,036 straight games.
– The Governor’s Series is presented by NV Energy and Barrick Gold.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will close out the regular season on Saturday, March 3 at Utah State. The 6 p.m. PT game will be shown on ESPN3.