Four players score in double figures as UNLV advances to Diamond Head Classic semifinal
HONOLULU (UNLVRebels.com) – Four Runnin’ Rebels scored in double figures as the UNLV men’s basketball team (6-4) defeated Hawaii (6-5), 73-59, Saturday in the quarterfinals of the Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic at Stan Sheriff Center.
Senior guard Kris Clyburn and freshman forward Joel Ntambwe each scored a game-high 17 points, while senior guard Noah Robotham added 16 points and sophomore guard Amauri Hardy added 11 points. Ntambwe grabbed a game-high 11 rebounds for his second straight double-double, and sophomore forward Mbacke Diong also had double-figure rebounds with 10.
The Rainbow Warriors had three players score in double figures, led by Drew Buggs’ 16 points.
A GAME OF RUNS: UNLV used a 16-2 run to take a 23-10 lead in the first half, but Hawaii ended the period on an 18-3 run to take a 28-26 halftime lead. Trailing by five early in the second half, the Runnin’ Rebels went on a 28-5 run to take control of the game and give themselves their largest lead of the contest at 18 (56-38).
STAT OF THE GAME: UNLV had 18 second-chance points, to Hawaii’s five.
RUNNIN’ REBEL OF THE GAME: Robotham continued his hot 3-point shooting, going 3 for 7 against Hawaii. In his last three games, he is 9 for 19 from behind the arc (47 percent).
– This was UNLV’s first true road win of the season (in its second try – first was a loss at Illinois).
– UNLV improved to 24-9 all-time against Hawaii and 12-7 against the Rainbow Warriors on the island.
– UNLV is now 3-1 all-time in the Diamond Head Classic. The Runnin’ Rebels advanced to the championship game in their only other appearance in 2009, falling to USC.
– UNLV has now won two straight games.
– UNLV has out-rebounded its opponent in all 10 of its games this season, including 44-29 against Hawaii.
– There were five ties and five lead changes in the game.
– UNLV outscored Hawaii 47-31 in the second half.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,049 straight games.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will face Indiana State (7-3) in the DHC semifinals on Sunday, Dec. 23 at 1:30 p.m. PT (TV: ESPN2, Radio: ESPN 1100 AM). The Sycamores defeated Colorado (72-67) earlier on Saturday. The tournament will conclude with a third game on Tuesday, Dec. 25, opponent is TBD.