Five score in double figures as UNLV men’s basketball defeats Pacific 96-70 Tuesday night at Thomas & Mack Center
Purchase Runnin’ Rebel Tickets
LAS VEGAS (UNLVRebels.com) – Five Runnin’ Rebels scored in double figures as the UNLV men’s basketball team (3-1) won its third straight game, 96-70 over Pacific Tuesday night at the Thomas & Mack Center.
Senior guard Kris Clyburn led the way with 17 points on 6 of 9 from the field, including three 3-pointers, sophomore forward Mbacke Diong scored a career-high 16 points on a perfect 7 of 7 shooting, senior forward Shakur Juiston and sophomore guard Amauri Hardy both scored 13 (career high for Hardy), and senior guard Noah Robotham pitched in a season-high 11 points.
Pacific (3-2) had three players score in double figures, led by Roberto Gallinat’s 13.
THE TURNING POINT: UNLV used a 17-1 run during the first half, turning a 32-28 lead with just under six minutes to play in the first half into a 49-29 advantage. The Runnin’ Rebels led 49-32 at halftime.
RUNNIN’ REBEL OF THE GAME: Juiston, who made only two 3-pointers all of last season, showed off a new skill connecting on 3 of 4 from long distance vs. the Tigers. He was 5 of 8 from the field overall, dishing out four assists, collecting three rebounds and recording two steals.
STATS OF THE GAME: UNLV shot season-high percentages of 62.1 from the field (36 of 58) and 40.7 on 3-pointers (11 of 27). The 11 made 3-pointers is also a season high for the Runnin’ Rebels and the most for the squad since draining 13 vs. Air Force during the 2016-17 season.
QUOTABLE: “Obviously, a really good effort on both sides of the ball tonight. It’s always nice to give the fans what they want, which is a nice offensive performance. But we are keeping our vision on the defensive side of the ball. We were really pleased with the way that we took pride in defending the ball. We were able to apply some good pressure which put us in position to turn them over and get some points off turnovers.” – UNLV Head Coach Marvin Menzies
– UNLV improved to 32-9 all-time vs. Pacific and 17-2 against the Tigers at home. This was the first meeting at the Thomas & Mack Center since both were members of the Big West in 1995-96.
– Diong had a game-high seven rebounds.
– Robotham dished out a game-high six assists with no turnovers.
– UNLV out-rebounded Pacific 35-25, marking the fourth time the Runnin’ Rebels have out-rebounded their opponents this season.
– UNLV recorded a season-high 22 assists and a season-low 11 turnovers.
– UNLV’s largest lead of the game was 32 points (90-58) with 2:47 to play.
– UNLV scored 25 points off Pacific’s 14 turnovers, while the Tigers converted UNLV’s turnovers into just eight points.
– UNLV led in points in the paint, 44-28.
– UNLV has made at least one 3-pointer in a NCAA-record 1,043 straight games.
NEXT FOR THE RUNNIN’ REBELS: UNLV will continue its season-opening homestand with a game Friday, Nov. 23 at 7 p.m. at the Thomas & Mack Center vs. Southern Utah. Tickets may be purchased at UNLVtickets.com, on the phone at 702-739-FANS and at the Thomas & Mack Center Box Office.