Individually, Denver’s Anna Zanusso leads the field at 14-under after setting a course record in the second round with a 61. Nebraska’s Katie Smith sits in second at 13-under, while Mississippi State’s Ashley Gilliam is in third at 8-under.
Three Rebels – Elina Saksa, Samantha Fuller and Cathy Liu – are tied for 12th at 4-under
PEORIA, Arizona (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV women’s golf team carded its best two rounds of the spring Sunday at Wisconsin’s Westbrook Invite, which is taking place at the Westbrook Village Golf Club (par 72, 6,252-yards) in Peoria, Arizona. The Rebels turned in two rounds under par – a 3-under 285 and a 5-under 283 – to sit in fifth at 8-under heading into Monday’s final round.
Three Rebels – juniors Samantha Fuller and Cathy Liu and freshman Elina Saksa – all shot 4-under 140 through the first two rounds to sit in a tie for 12th. Saska and Fuller had identical scores if 69 and 71 in rounds one and two, respectively, while Liu shot the reverse, carding a 71 in the first round and a 69 in the second round. The rounds of 69 were a single-round season-low for all three.
Sophomore Veronica Joels shot a 4-over 148 to sit tied for 59th, while freshman Dana Puyol came in five shots behind her in 84th at 9-over 153.
Oklahoma ended day one on top at 25-under 551, but Mississippi State is right on the Sooners’ heels in second at 24-under 552. College of Charleston sits in third at 15-under 561, followed by Denver in fourth at 11-under 565 and the Rebels in fifth.
STAT OF THE DAY: The Rebels’ second-round score of 5-under 283 matched their single-round season-low. The other came in the fall in the first round of the Jim West Invite in Texas. UNLV’s first-round score of 3-under 285 was their second best all year.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Fuller, Liu and Saksa all deserve the honors after being locked in both rounds, but Liu had the most impressive single-round of the day as she sunk three birdies and had no bogies in her 3-under 69 first round.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The final round of the Westbrook Invite will get underway Monday morning at 8:30 a.m. MT
• The Rebels are playing in the Westbrook Invite for the first time since the 2015-16 season
• The fifth-place finish after two rounds is UNLV’s second best of the 2019-20 season
• UNLV has a new look with just two returners from last year’s roster. Six new faces have joined the 2019-20 squad.
• Prior to the 2018-19 season, UNLV had won three straight Mountain West titles and made a NCAA postseason appearance in 16 consecutive years.
• Head coach Amy Bush-Herzer is in her ninth year at the helm of the program. She has led her team to a conference championship four times.