UNLV shoots a 24-over 600 on day one of the 2018 Jim West Invitational in San Marcos, Texas
SAN MARCOS, Texas (UNLVRebels.com) – UNLV women’s golf kicked off its final tournament of the fall Sunday at the 2018 Jim West Invitational, hosted by Texas State University. The Rebels played 36 holes on day one at Kissing Tree Golf Club in San Marcos, Texas, carding a 24-over 600 as a team to sit in 14th place heading into Monday’s final round.
Senior Elizabeth Prior and sophomore Polly Mack, who have been the most consistent golfers for the Scarlet and Gray this fall, each finished the day at even through the first two rounds to sit in a tie for 21st. Senior Alyssa Getty came in at 8-over with a two rounds of 76 to sit tied for 56th, while freshman Veronica Joels is 73rd at 16-over. Junior Nastasia Kossacky was disqualified in the first round.
TCU built a commanding lead Sunday, shooting 9-under as a team to lead the field by five strokes over Florida State at 4-under. Host Texas State and Ole Miss are tied for third at 1-under. Florida State’s Frida Kinhult is atop the individual leaderboard at 8-under after a 65 in the round two.
REBEL OF THE DAY: Mack and Prior continued their strong play. Prior turned in rounds of 71 and 73, while Mack stayed steady with two rounds of 72.
NEXT UP FOR THE REBELS: The 2018 Jim West Invitational wraps up Monday morning with an 8 a.m. CT shotgun start.
- 14th – UNLV – (304-296 — 600, +24)
- T21st – Elizabeth Prior, senior (71-73 — 144, E)
- T21st – Polly Mack, sophomore (72-72 — 144, E)
- T56th – Alyssa Getty, senior (76-76 — 152, +8)
- T73rd – Veronica Joels, freshman (85-75 — 160, +16)
- T78th – Nastasia Kossacky, junior (DQ-76 — 151, +7)
TOP FIVE TEAMS
1. TCU (284-283 — 569, -9)
2. Florida State (291-281 –572, -4)
T3. Texas State (297-278 — 575, -1)
T3. Ole Miss (287-288 — 575, -1)
5. Oklahoma (292-286 — 578, +2)
• UNLV has four of five members back from its 2018 Mountain West Championship squad
• Last spring, the Rebels won three consecutive MW titles for the first time since they won three in a row from 2004-06
• UNLV has won four conference championships in seven years under head coach Amy Bush-Herzer