UNLV wrapped up regular season in Napa Tuesday, next up is Mountain West Championships, April 16-18
NAPA, CALIFORNIA (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV women’s golf team wrapped up its final regular season tournament Tuesday in Napa, California, finishing in 16th place at the Silverado Showdown. The Rebels concluded the three-day event at the Silverado Resort and Spa with a score of 63-over 927.
Sophomore Polly Mack was the Scarlet and Gray’s highest finisher in a tie for 42nd at 11-over (227), with senior Elizabeth Prior coming in two shots behind Mack in a tie for 49th at 13-over. Sophomore Cathy Liu finished at 19-over 235 to tie for 71st, followed by senior Shannon Oh in a tie for 79th at 21-over 237. Freshman Veronica Joels rounded it out in 91st at 30-over 246.
Northwestern entered the day with an 11-shot cushion and finished out the team victory at 6-over (870). No. 1 USC came in four shots behind the Wildcats to take second at 10-over (874), followed by No. 4 Stanford in third at 17-over (881), No 24. Oregon in fourth at 20-over (884) and No. 25 Washington in fifth at 22-over (886).
Northwestern’s Brook Riley was the wire-to-wire individual leader after carding a three-round score of 1-under 215, just edging out USC’s Malia Nam and San Jose State’s Natasha Andrea Oon by one stroke, who each shot even (216) for the tournament to tie for runner-up honors. Oregon’s Kathleen Scavo and Northwestern’s Stephanie Lau and Kelly Sim all tied for fourth at 1-over (217).
NEXT UP FOR THE REBELS: With the regular season behind them, the Rebels will set their sights on a fourth straight league title at the 2019 Mountain West Championships, which are set for April 16-18 in Rancho Mirage, California.
- 16th – UNLV – (303-316-308 — 927, +63)
- T42nd – Polly Mack, sophomore (74-74-79 — 227 , +11)
- T49th – Elizabeth Prior, senior (75-78-76 — 229, +13)
- T71st – Cathy Liu, sophomore (78-82-75 — 235, +19)
- T79th – Shannon Oh, senior (76-83-78 — 237 , +21)
- 91st – Veronica Joels, freshman (82-82-82 — 246, +30)
TOP FIVE TEAMS
1. Northwestern (291-285-294 — 870, +6)
2. USC (291-297-286 — 874, +10)
3. Stanford (294-293-294 — 881, +17)
4. Oregon (297-296-291 — 884, +20)
5. Washington (300-294-292 — 886, +22)
• UNLV finished in the top-10 in five of six tournaments this spring and in the top six in four of those five, including a first-place finish at Battle at Boulder Creek and a second place finish at Rebel Beach
• Polly Mack earned her first outright victory at the Mountain View Invitational this spring with a career-low 54-hole score of 10-under. She was named Mountain West Women’s Golfer of the Week for the second time this spring after her victory
• The Rebels finished second at their second annual Rebel Beach Invitational at Spanish Trail Country Club in February, which is co-hosted by Long Beach State. Prior blew out the field with a seven-shot victory for her second straight tournament win
• The Rebels opened the spring with a team win at the Battle of Boulder Creek, with Prior and Mack tying for medalist honors
• Prior and Mack were named Co-Mountain West Women’s Golfers of the Week after their win at Boulder Creek, then Prior earned it a second consecutive week after her win at Rebel Beach
• Last spring, the Rebels won three consecutive MW titles for the first time since they won three in a row from 2004-06
• UNLV has won four conference championships in seven years under head coach Amy Bush-Herzer