Rebels shoot 14-over during first two rounds Friday in Phoenix
PHOENIX (UNLVRebels.com) – The UNLV men‘s golf team shot 14-over-par 582 during the first two rounds (8-over 292, 6-over 290) of the ASU Thunderbird Collegiate Friday and is in 13th place at the tournament, which is being held at Papago Golf Course (par 71, 7,333 yards).
The host No. 2 Sun Devils hold a nine shot lead at 13-under 555. No. 7 Texas is second at 4-under, followed by No. 1 Oklahoma State at 3-under in third, No. 25 Baylor at 2-under in fourth, and UCLA is tied with ASU’s “B” team for fifth at 1-under.
Individually, ASU’s Chun An Yu holds a four-shot lead at 9-under. There is a two-way tie for second at 5-under.
UNLV was led by senior Harry Hall, who is tied for 19th at even-par 142 after rounds of 75 and 67.
There are a total of 14 teams and 80 individuals competing.
• UNLV is the three-time defending Mountain West champions.
• Last year’s team also finished third at the NCAA Regional in Columbus, Ohio, and placed in the top 20 at the NCAA Championship.
• Trent earned the Mountain West Freshman of the Year award last season, while Harry Hall and Trent were both recognized as All-MW performers.
• Hall was named a Srixon/Cleveland Golf All-America Scholar in July.
• UNLV has played in a NCAA-record 30 straight regionals.
• This year marks head coach Dwaine Knight’s 32nd season leading the Rebel program.
NEXT FOR THE REBELS: The final round of the ASU Thunderbird Collegiate will be played Saturday beginning at 7 a.m.
LIVE SCORING: Live scoring of the tournament is available at UNLVRebels.com, courtesy of Golfstat, or by clicking here.